ONE SKILLET CHICKEN POT PIE
One Skillet Chicken Pot Pie is a comforting family favorite classic made easy by using only one skillet and topping with a delicious flaky puff pastry.
The best part about this One Skillet Chicken Pot Pie, besides it's deliciousness, is that you only dirty one pan. All the ingredients are cooked in the skillet and then you just add the puff pastry and stick the skillet in the oven. If you don't have have a pan that can go in the oven you can just transfer the filling to a pie dish before adding the puff pastry.
- ½ cup butter
- 1½ cups carrots, diced
- 1 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1¾ cup chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup milk (2% or whole)
- 2 cups cooked chicken or turkey, diced or shredded (about 2 chicken breasts)
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in an ovenproof* skillet and add the onions and celery. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add the carrots and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes or until carrots are fork tender.
- Stir in the flour and seasonings and cook for 2 minutes while stirring. Add the chicken broth a little at a while whisking until smooth. Whisk in the milk and bring to a boil. Simmer for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Mix in the chicken (or turkey) and peas and flatten the filling to create and even surface.
- Slice the puff pastry dough into 12 even strips. Lay strips on top, weaving them together. Whisk egg and water together and brush on top of puff pastry. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.